Decorating around a theme is often the best way to create a room that is impressive. It provides an easy way to ensure that the room is ‘pulled together’ by way of a common thread. It also helps with decisions such as color selection, accessorizing, and furnishings. Rather than ponder whether or not to buy that amazing couch you just found, you can quickly and confidently say ‘yay or nay.’ Either it works with the theme or it doesn’t!
To make it even easier we are offering our guidelines in short and succinct bulleted lists. We’ve found that when working theme it’s more effective to pick and choose possibilities a la carte. Otherwise you risk ‘overdoing it’ with the theme and end up with a room that might look it belongs in a theme park. Less is more. Lastly, when going about it this way the overall project seems less daunting. Just pick what you like and work it into your plan!
In this installment of our How-To-Decorate series we are going to discuss the decorating guidelines of the decadent 1920’s. If Gatsby’s descriptions of a mansion make you envision glamorous décor and stunning architecture you are going to love translating this into a room in your house.
- Black and white combo
- Large scale repeating patterns
- Chandeliers reign supreme
- Lanterns, multifaceted geometric designs
- Very ornate and colorful glass table lamps
- Polished nickel
- Ample amounts of refined gold
- Organization – a very symmetrical aesthetic, think balance in all formations
- The walls
- Ornate, 1920’s mirrors, symmetrically placed above furniture; try tiled mirror insets within gold leaf panels
- Bold deco wallpaper, use on just or two walls to avoid fatiguing the eye
- The floor
- Black and white checkered tile
- Something unique
- Hang 1920’s style hats on the wall
- Find an old flapper dress that is too shabby to wear, and repurpose the materials to make a pillow or décor item
- Large, fluffy feathers in an ornate vase